New Rollback v11.1.2704030551 corrupted my computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rollback v11.1.2704030551 corrupted my computer

Well, I gave the latest RB a whirl for about a week and took about 10 snapshots as well as deleting countless others. I then realized that i hadn't done an actual rollback yet so proceeded to do my first rollback to the last snapshot I'd taken. What a f*****g disaster.. Corruption everywhere. All 10 snapshots (including Installation) were all f****d. Even more annoying was that right clicking on the snapshots and showing properties listed the Quality as "GOOD". Really??? Whats good about these f****d up snapshots. They're all corrupted. Why does RB still say "All good here?" Is that property window just for show? Is there any real code behind it that actually does a verification?. So many questions and absolutely no answers coming I'm sure.

I havent had this issue for a very long while and while its true that RB is known to exhibit this random corruption, to do so so quickly only after the first rollback and a weeks use tells me that there is a problem with the code again. Especially since they must have done some major re-coding to get the baseline to delete and update to the next available snapshot (much like updating baseline only much more streamlined). This brings up (again) the question of how much or well they do their testing phase. HDS have been accused before of using their users as the testers which is extremely infuriating when you consider the loss of data that can occur to an unsuspecting (or unprepared) user. I mean come on. I say i've used the latest version for a week but over that week the reality is that I've used my PC for maybe 4hrs with RB installed and on the very first rollback it trashes my system???? Jesus, talk about sapping all confidence from a person.

Why is RB so sensitive to any code change? Is it because RB works by hacking the system (eg MBR) therefore making it very difficult to track all the hacks that you guys are making and creating a massive scenario of unknown consequences?? Is this the real reason why no major feature has been added to RB since its inception?? Again so many questions and no answers will be forthcoming.

You guys need to look at the new code changes you've made because something got over looked. Shame on you because this happens with great regularity and the nature of your software makes this a grave shortcoming. Dont bother asking for logs as over the years on using your software im over helping sort out your bugs. Thats your job...not mine.

Luckily I'm a**l about having a current backup so i was able to recover without incident but others......

Unf*****g believable

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk c:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    The total allocated size in attribute record (80, "")
    of file 8B00000001363C is incorrect.
    Deleted corrupt attribute list entry
    with type code 80 in file 1363C.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 934F
    is corrupt.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 143A6
    is corrupt.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 27C50
    is corrupt.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 41206
    is corrupt.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 41769
    is corrupt.
    Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 4A8C1
    is corrupt.
    485632 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    File record segment 934F is an orphan.
    7983 large file records processed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
    Press any key to continue . . .
    I literally just reinstalled RB v11.1 after 2 days of running my system without RB, took 1 snapshot, ran the defragger and then proceeded to RB to the same snapshot. Imediately i have a corrupted file system.

I RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE USING THIS VERSION PERFORM A CHKDSK ON THEIR "PROTECTED" VOLUMES AND PRAY THAT ALL IS GOOD. IF ERRORS ARE FOUND THEN DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ALLOW CHKDSK TO FIX THEM. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD IMAGE OF YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE RB WAS INSTALLED THEN I WOULD RESTORE THAT IMAGE BUT DONT FORGET TO FIRST BACKUP YOUR DATA FILES ON YOUR CURRENT RB SYSTEM. IT'S POSSIBLE THAT SOME WILL BE CORRUPTED BUT BETTER THAN LOSING THEM ALL. USE RB V11 UNTIL HDS FIX THIS SERIOUS BUG IN V11.1. I RECOMMEND UNINSTALLING EVEN IF BY SOME MIRACLE YOU HAVE NO ERRORS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....
    Last edited by carfal; 01-19-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

carfal is one of the most extensive (and knowledgeable) users of Rollback RX since its earliest versions... I would definitely heed his WARNING!

Comment

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk c:
        The type of the file system is NTFS.
        The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
        might report errors when no corruption is present.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
        Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 33F
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 1427
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 18A8
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 2392
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 26A4
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 2D63
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 2EAC
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 3BCB
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 4C67
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 52FF
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 5916
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 5BB7
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 5EC0
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 79D7
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 8109
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 83F7
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment B3D7
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 1337E
        is corrupt.
        The total allocated size in attribute record (80, "")
        of file 8B00000001363C is incorrect.
        with type code 80 in file 1363C.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 934F
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 31185
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 31840
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 41206
        is corrupt.
        with type code 80 in file 412F6.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 1064
        is corrupt.
        with type code 80 in file 4177D.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 449E
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 859D
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 9984
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 42145
        is corrupt.
        Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 5AE33
        is corrupt.
        485632 file records processed.
        File verification completed.
        File record segment 1064 is an orphan.
        File record segment 449E is an orphan.
        File record segment 859D is an orphan.
        File record segment 934F is an orphan.
        File record segment 9984 is an orphan.
        7984 large file records processed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
        Press any key to continue . . .
        In case more proof was needed here it is.

In reading a post on the Wilders Security forum (finally, someone else corroborating my results) , i realized that i had only tested RB in the new default mode of SSM (Space Saving Mode). So i thought i would give it one more go but as you can see.....FAIL!

But wait there's more. The above corruption occurred without me performing a rollback. Here is what happened.

I install v11.1 again. Went into "Kernel Mode" setting and unticked both options listed to disable SSM. When i clicked "APPLY", nothing changed in the description above (it still said i was in SSM mode. So much for "seamless" integration. . I thought well OK, a reboot is required. So i rebooted had a look and still no change???? Performed chkdsk........all good. Hmmmmm, another reboot must be required. Had a look again, you guessed it, still no change. Just when i thought my confidence in RB couldn't get any lower. How can they not pick this up??????????? Do they literally do no testing at all????????
        So i thought I'll take a snapshot and defrag it and then do another simple reboot. (The last 2 tests i detected corruption after the first rollback). So i changed it up and took my snapshot and simply rebooted. I looked at the "Kernel Mode" setting and low and behold FRM (Fast Restore Mode) was activated....Hooray! Now, before I rolled back i did a chkdsk to make sure the file structure was intact and the results above speak for themselves. Corrupted Current System State and i hadnt even performed my rollback yet. (The previous 2 corruptions occurred after the first rollback and RB was in its default SSM mode).

It seems that the act of changing between SSM and FRM is also causing corruption.....it never ends.

I rest my case.
        Last edited by carfal; 01-19-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Froggie
          Thanks for your support mate.

Comment

On my 2 laptops Windows 10 1809 I experienced similar problems with RX Home. I used RX Pro 10.7 before, but experienced major problems with RX Pro 10.7 after the latest Windows Update 1809. Not convinced buying new licences for RX Pro 11, I used RX Home 10.7 first and changed later to RX Home 11 and now 11.1. Puzzled by the new options of RX 11, and not in favour of these changes, I continue to have problems with version 11.1. Messages that errors are found on the hard drive and that chkdsk /f would be run after reboot. After reboot and 'auto' chkdsk repair, many corrupted files found. Rolled back system to an earlier good working state, but one laptop would not boot anymore (blue screen). On the 2nd laptop different files lost, others corrupted. I had backups on an ext disk and restored both laptops. Uninstalled RX Home 11.1, ran chkdsk and no errors found on both laptops. Installed RX Home 10.7 and everything working ok. Ran chkdsk again and no errors found. Currently making new backups w/o RX Home installed. Will try again later if RX Pro 10.7 can be used again with Win 10 1809. For the time being no RX Home Pro/ Home 11.1 for me anymore. Enough hassle experienced.

Comment

It has now been a week and a half since carfal first posted this information about a FATAL FLAW in Rollback Rx Pro v. 11.1. But no one from Horizon DataSys has said a word about it. Does no one at the company care that they are pushing a product that trashes its users' computers? It is only by a combination of laziness and good luck that I hadn't installed it myself.

Comment

Hi Carfal,

Sorry about the situation you're in. Although you are resistant on providing log files, this is the only way the developers can analyze and see what happened.

We do test our software extensively before pushing it out to the public, and we have not had any similar situations like this, we also have not had any reports of a similar case with other end users, so it's definitely odd that this happened and we do want to figure this out.

Just provide the log files, and I'll take care of the rest, you can just PM it to me if you like.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Comment

Hello Ram Sarma,

It's not just Carfal. Zoeff also reported the same kinds of problems (though with Rx Home 11.1) over the weekend.
                  Last edited by dbolotin; 01-22-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X