windows 10 April 2018 update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 10 April 2018 update

Am I correct that Rollback Rx must be uninstalled, or at least its protection turned off, before installing the Windows 10 April 2018 update (formerly known as the Spring Creators update) when it comes out next week?

Since no one from HDS feels it's important enough to try and answer this inquiry, and the impending "doom" from MicroSloth's SCU (Spring Creator's Update) is due any day now, I can only offer the following...

From what I've seen in the past, the HDS Developers usually have never tested RBrx with the impending MicroSloth major releases. This has led to some serious surprises among users who have moved ahead with M$ updates, both major and minor. In the past, they did set up a Forum to let people know when it was "safe" to do any sort of M$ updates... this effort seemed to have faded very fast.

I've always had the impression that the development team never even belonged to any sort of advanced Windows RING effort, allowing them lots of early access to impending major releases from MicroSloth... this was always seen when users upgraded and problems followed without any notice from HDS. Again, it's only an impression.

Based on what I've seen, the safest approach would be a complete uninstall, apply the major M$ update in question, then a fresh install of RBrx. The new RBrx DEACTIVATION method may work as well, but no one has ever claimed that to be successful. Since I don't know how much partition geometry is actually "remembered" during the deactivation/reactivation scenario, I would call it questionable as far as success is concerned. The main reason... MicroSloth has been making partition changes during its major upgrades for quite a while now. If RBrx tries to remember that type of information during the deactivation scenario, the result following the reactivation would be a bit disastrous.

Until you hear directly from HDS about your options, I would think uninstall/reinstall would be your safest approach. Sorry I can't offer more...
    Last edited by Froggie; 04-29-2018, 05:41 AM.

Comment

i couldn't install v10.7 on 1803, the installer doesn't run. ( i tried on 3 machines)

Comment

As a follow-up to Umbra post above, I tried a simple installation of the RBrx HOME product on my Legacy-MBR W10 v1803 configuration. Although the installation seemed to be successful, my multi-BOOT environment BCD Store was messed up and selections other than the main OS failed with errors. Only one of those multi-BOOT selections was a LIVE OS so no special RBrx installation was required, only a single System install.

I would stay away from the Microsoft Spring Creator's Edition (v1803) until more is heard from HDS on this stuff...

Comment

Hi Guys,

Rollback Rx is compatible with the new spring 1803 update. However, we are going to be releasing Version 11 very soon... We will have additional information in the coming days regarding features and release date.

As for your testing Froggie, and correct me if I misunderstood your post (Sorry!) but Rollback Rx Home edition does not support Multi-OS configurations which would evidently be the reason why your other operating systems failed but the MAIN one did not.

I've mentioned this in a different thread, but I do want to apologize on behalf of Horizon datasys on the lack of response on our forums here. Most of you guys here are long time fans/clients and I do not want you guys to think we've abandoned you completely. We had to let go our previous community manager and are still actively looking for a replacement.

For now i will be responding to most of the threads and posts here but if you guys have any questions or concerns please feel free to PM me or create another thread.

Thank you!

Comment

After completely uninstalling Rollback Rx v. 10.7, in accord with Froggie's recommendation in this thread, I was able to update to Windows version 1803 and then reinstall Rollback 10.7 Professional Edition. It seems to work. But I had to remember to disable the fast startup feature (which had been re-enabled) in order to get snapshots at startup.

Comment

It's those little things (like you mentioned) that make W10 updates a real surprise to many users... applications disappear, settings get changed, disk geometry gets completely changed, it drives most users crazy.

I refuse to upgrade my main System to W10 for the reasons above. Instead, I have an active project moving almost everything to Linux MINT, with the compatible things I need that don't exist in the Linux world will run in a Windows VM under VirtualBox. I just refuse to cave in to Windows 10.
              Last edited by Froggie; 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I have a problem with the upgrade to version 1803. Could this be a problem that I have Rollback Rx Pro installed?

Comment

I'm just a customer like you. And I'm not tech savvy, as Froggie is. But if you attempted this major Windows update without first uninstalling Rollback Rx, that could certainly be a problem. (See Froggie's post from 4/29 above.) If it's still possible, you might restore a snapshot from some time before you attempted the update. Then you could uninstall Rollback Rx, redo the update, and then reinstall Rollback Rx. Then everything should work. If you can't restore a good Rollback Rx snapshot from some time before you attempted the update, perhaps you could use the "Go Back to Previous Version of Windows 10" command in Windows Update/Recovery. If that works, you could then uninstall Rollback Rx, redo the update, and reinstall Rollback Rx. Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest.
                  Last edited by dbolotin; 05-04-2018, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Sarma View Post
                    As for your testing Froggie, and correct me if I misunderstood your post (Sorry!) but Rollback Rx Home edition does not support Multi-OS configurations which would evidently be the reason why your other operating systems failed but the MAIN one did not.
                    Ram Sarma , As I mentioned, I am not using more than one LIVE OS in my multiBOOT configuration, but I am using the Windows BOOTmgr along with the Windows BOOT Control Data (BCD) Store to access other standalone System processes (WInPE-based imaging, WinPE-based utilities, etc.) which do not affect Rollback RX in any way.

With v10.7 HOME installed in v1803, I cannot even make my way through the BOOTmgr to gain successful access to any of those processes, it always errors out before it ever reaches the process. This has always worked in the past. I'm guessing (since I don't have a 2nd LIVE OS available in my multiBOOT environment), even if I did have that 2nd LIVE OS, BOOTmgr's access to this directive would most likely fail as well as it does with the others.
                    Last edited by Froggie; 05-03-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

intriguing, retried to install RX Pro 10.7 , this time it install properly on all machines...

Comment

In answer to Skiba's question. I discovered by accident, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to install the Win 1803 update, that once I uninstalled Rollback Rx Pro 10.7 that 1803 installed fine. I haven't tried to reinstall Rollback yet, but wanted to alert the community in case others weren't aware.

Comment

Originally posted by trb16 View Post
                          In answer to Skiba's question. I discovered by accident, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to install the Win 1803 update, that once I uninstalled Rollback Rx Pro 10.7 that 1803 installed fine. I haven't tried to reinstall Rollback yet, but wanted to alert the community in case others weren't aware.
                          That is normal, every Windows upgrade modify the MBR and partition table, and RX "protect" it; you are lucky that your system stay intact some people got unbootable machines.
                          RX must always be uninstalled before every major updates/upgrades.

Comment

Are there any multiboot installs here?
                            WIN 10 LTSB SSD + HDD
                            Last edited by cemster; 05-11-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Tried to install Rollback Rx Pro 10.7 after upgrading to Windows 10 1803 but no luck, successfully installed it but running with error prompted . Anybody knows how to make it work ? Everything works fine in Windows 10 1709.

Comment

Working...
                              X