Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does RollBack deal with "Improper Shutdowns"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does RollBack deal with "Improper Shutdowns"?

Hi,

I've been using RollBack Rx for a while now, and I am very impressed. It's really unique in its functionality.

But I do have one question concerning "improper shutdowns". There are many ways a system can crash, BSOD being one of them, but sudden restarts or shutdowns, for example with a bad power supply as the culprit, are others.

Without RollBack's sector redirection, it's very possible that some file corruption has occured in NTFS due to "torn writes", but at least journaling guarantees a consistent state of the filesystem.

But what happens on systems protected by RollBack Rx?

So far I've only had one BSOD, and everything was fine after a reboot with a "Improper Shutdown, checking disk" message by RollBack Rx.

I've also seen "Detect system data crashed" messages, or hexadecimal strings displayed on the subconsole on other systems.

I wonder what's going on "under the hood" of RollBack Rx in these scenarios...does it also have some sort of journaling implemented, or another mechanism that prevents an inconsistent state of the sector tables when a sudden power loss occurs? In other words: Is it always safe to go back to a pre-crash snapshot, not just in cases when the system was halted by a BSOD?

Many thanks,

Rakdar

The silence here is deafening. I was kind of interested in this answer as well...

Comment

I was wondering about this as well.

Comment

I guess we'll keep wondering

Comment

C'mon Carfal... it's only been a month. It takes a while to figure out how something like this works... even if you're the developer.

Comment

Yes, you and I have been around the block a few times with these guys but for some reason i keep expecting things to change. I'll never learn...

Comment

Originally posted by carfal View Post
              Yes, you and I have been around the block a few times with these guys but for some reason i keep expecting things to change. I'll never learn...
              Yes you have...

Comment

This thread just about sums up HDS today. They are not the slightest bit interested in supporting their customers or products.
                In fact, like all of you, I received their spring sale mailing and as I'm still waiting for v11 to be released I decided to click on it and see where we are at now. Of course, they are still pushing v10.7 so no headway has been made and probably never will be.

Being specialized in marketing, I have to wonder about the effect on both product and brand credibility these regular sales are having?

As a potential buyer, what they say to me is "Never pay the official asking price because if you wait a couple of months you can buy at half the price." Then there's brand credibility to consider. If the lack of response to customer queries on their own forum doesn't raise a huge red flag, the constant sales tend to suggest they can't sell their products and a lack of sales eventually translates into which 10 letter word? Clue: it begins with a B and ends in a Y.

Froggie graciously highlighted the inherent errors in v10.7 and his guide warned "caveat emptor". He covered everything that was wrong with the product and, if memory serves me well, HDS replied that these issues would be resolved in v11. That must have been well over a year ago!

Message to HDS staff (I get the impression there's only 2 people in the company now anyway): You appear to have perfected the 'own goal' technique. Bravo!!!
                Now, either release v11 and prove me wrong, or try giving away your flawed products for even less. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!

Edit: It is only fair that I add I have been using RX Pro since 2005 and it has been indispensable to me. I also bought licences for friends who have similarly been saved from nightmare situations time and time again. I still have v9.1 installed on my previous Alienware with Win 7 although the machine has no SSD's. So, I must admit I like the RX Pro product and really want to purchase a version that will safely work with my Win 10 based triple SSD Alienware and v10.7 would be installed if I had not learned about the dangers it presents.
                Last edited by 7leagueboot; 03-30-2018, 12:47 AM. Reason: I felt the need to add some gratitude for previous versions which were marvellous.

Comment

Huh! Sounds like I truly belong here... The equinox of the doomed. A waiting room for the incurable...

Is there anybody among you who tried to install a multiboot scenario, fellow sufferers?

(Windows 10 LTSB - SSD + HDD)

Comment

Working...
                  X