Older professional version for free?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older professional version for free?

Is there any old version that I can get for free?
    Since I'm still using Windows 7 so I thought there might be a fully working version 8 somewhere which is no more suitable for business.

Hello drought,

Thank you for your response. If this is for RollBack Rx, we no longer have version 8 of the software available on our website as we're now currently on version 10.7. If you do require this version, feel free to submit a ticket to us, and we can see what we can do for you. Here is the link below:

http://support.horizondatasys.com/Tickets/Submit

We highly suggest however, to try out our latest version of RollBack Rx as it's compatible with Windows 7 and provides a-lot of bug fixes and new features since version 8. We do have a 14-day trial below if you want to give this a try:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/downlo...ckRxPro107.zip

Comment

Originally posted by ShainalR View Post
      we no longer have version 8 of the software available on our website as we're now currently on version 10.7. If you do require this version, feel free to submit a ticket to us, and we can see what we can do for you.

We highly suggest however, to try out our latest version of RollBack Rx as it's compatible with Windows 7 and provides a-lot of bug fixes and new features since version 8. We do have a 14-day trial below if you want to give this a try
      Thanks for support, firstly I'm glad to note that the forum has changed from "we are a members based forum and not directly connected with Horizon" by the previous moderator who lead be away from Horizon products for long time to what I see from your replay.
      I'm currently using the Home edition and disappointed by the developers' decision to impose a compulsory schedule that can't be changed nor "deleted".
      My point is how can I trust Horizon and pay for its products when the developers don't even understand that modern computers always have SSDs so flushing cache and creating/deleting a new useless snapshot at every startup will shorten the drive life?

Comment

Drought, to my knowledge, you are not forced to use the Startup snapshot... it's just the DEFAULT setup at the moment, it can be turned off.

The bigger issue with SSDs ( and I don't wanna start another massive thread about this... it's a fact regardless of how it's wordsmithed by HDS) is the lack of support of the Windows operating System's TRIM function which allows that SSD to internally manage it's NAND storage blocks correctly. An SSD's internal garbage collection function does help quite a bit but lack of TRIM from the OS is a lot worse that Startup snapshots.

I'll leave it there at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Froggie View Post
          Drought, to my knowledge, you are not forced to use the Startup snapshot... it's just the DEFAULT setup at the moment, it can be turned off.
          My point is that Rollback flushes the cache and creates a new snapshot at every system restart and I see when the computer starts it takes much longer.
          So why we need this useless, damaging and time wasting compulsory setting?
          BTW, as I said you can't avoid the settings because you can't turn is off!
          Last edited by drought; 10-31-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Drought, I must be misunderstanding you. After a "standard" Rollback installation, under its "Task Scheduler" located under its UI you'll find a single task scheduled for a Daily FIRST BOOT snapshot. While in this interface, you may select that item and use the DELETE function in that toolbar to eliminate it... no more FIRST BOOT snapshot. I know of no other BOOT snapshots that are done unless scheduled under this interface.

As far as "cache flushing" is concerned, that is nothing more that Rollback using the standard Windows VOLUME SHADOW COPY service to lock the FileSystem at a point in time before it does its snapshot... any snapshot. This guarantees a "consistent" FileSystem when the snapshot is made. Many applications under Windows use this service with no real adverse affects on SSDs or any other storage.
            Last edited by Froggie; 11-01-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Drought, I must be misunderstanding you. After a "standard" Rollback installation, under its "Task Scheduler" located under its UI you'll find a single task scheduled for a Daily FIRST BOOT snapshot. While in this interface, you may select that item and use the DELETE function in that toolbar to eliminate it... no more FIRST BOOT snapshot. I know of no other BOOT snapshots that are done unless scheduled under this interface.
              I'm using version 10.7 Home edition and I can assure you that the task may NOT be deleted (there is no option) and confirmed by Horizon chat staff and forums moderator.
              Unless you're are using a prior version which allows the task schedule to be deleted, then I would like to have it!

As far as "cache flushing" is concerned, that is nothing more that Rollback using the standard Windows VOLUME SHADOW COPY service to lock the FileSystem at a point in time before it does its snapshot... any snapshot. This guarantees a "consistent" FileSystem when the snapshot is made. Many applications under Windows use this service with no real adverse affects on SSDs or any other storage.
              Anything you said sounds good but not good for the life of a SSD since Rollback home creates a compulsory new snapshot at each reboot which makes no sense since I'm in charge of MY computer so I chose when to make a new snapshot.
              I feel like you're anot aware of SSDs problems and lifespan also the system takes much longer to startup because Rollback pretends to flush the cache and create a new snapshot which I do not need so why I installed a SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by drought View Post
                I'm using version 10.7 Home edition and I can assure you that the task may NOT be deleted (there is no option) and confirmed by Horizon chat staff and forums moderator.
                Unless you're are using a prior version which allows the task schedule to be deleted, then I would like to have it!
                You are correct, I was referring to the PRO version...

Anything you said sounds good but not good for the life of a SSD since Rollback home creates a compulsory new snapshot at each reboot which makes no sense since I'm in charge of MY computer so I chose when to make a new snapshot.
                I feel like you're anot aware of SSDs problems and lifespan also the system takes much longer to startup because Rollback pretends to flush the cache and create a new snapshot which I do not need so why I installed a SSD?
                Believe me, I am fully aware of SSD issues and lifespan. I might suggest some reading for you contained in THIS ARTICLE. When I went back and looked at all my SSDs and their current WRITE DATA over time, I came to the conclusion that most of mine would last at least 25+ years, at which time I would either be deceased or have moved on over 5-times to both new generation Systems AND storage solutions.
                Last edited by Froggie; 11-04-2017, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I'm currently using the Home edition and disappointed by the developers' decision to impose a compulsory schedule that can't be changed nor "deleted".
                  My point is how can I trust Horizon and pay for its products when the developers don't even understand that modern computers always have SSDs so flushing cache and creating/deleting a new useless snapshot at every startup will shorten the drive life?
                  I'm not sure you completely understand how Rollback works internally. The creation of a snapshot is nothing more than changing the FileSystem's reference to a set of DATA. that's already been written to your SSD. It doesn't write any new DATA, it only updates a DataBase reference to the DATA that's already been written to your device. Rollback snapshots DO NOT create large amounts of new DATA... all they do is reserve/retail the space that old DATA already occupies.

The "cache flushing" you reference is nothing more than Windows doing a similar thing to its own FileSystem reference... there's no new massive DATA created by either operation.

Comment

I'm not sure you completely understand how Rollback works internally. The creation of a snapshot is nothing more than changing the FileSystem's reference to a set of DATA. that's already been written to your SSD. It doesn't write any new DATA, it only updates a DataBase reference to the DATA that's already been written to your device. Rollback snapshots DO NOT create large amounts of new DATA... all they do is reserve/retail the space that old DATA already occupies.
                    Installation baseline 96GB. Scheduled (not by miself) snapshot 49GB. Scheduled (not by myself) snapshot 23GB, I see where you come from and you really stand by your own knowledge!

The "cache flushing" you reference is nothing more than Windows doing a similar thing to its own FileSystem reference
                    So basically you're saying what I said that Rollback flushes the cache so it deletes data on the SSD and by doing so it interfere with the SSD's lifespan.
                    there's no new massive DATA created by either operation
                    MASSIVE or not it's a "useless" task I do not need and I do not want to.
                    Now the topic has gone far from its original heading....

Comment

Installation baseline 96GB. Scheduled (not by miself) snapshot 49GB. Scheduled (not by myself) snapshot 23GB, I see where you come from and you really stand by your own knowledge!
                      Drought, if your System (and your SSD) is generating snapshots that are as big as you describe above on a daily basis, it has much larger problems than Rollback. Those snapshots represent changes to your System since its last snapshot. Changes that represent over 50% of your System (49gB mentioned above) between daily snapshots is not a System that should be using Rollback at all, with or without DAILY snapshots. That's a massive amount of changes in a 24-hour period. Something is going on there and it isn't Rollback that's doing it.

What does your System do that makes that many changes in 24-hours (i'm just trying to help here)? If you find this inquiry too personal, then I suggest you invest in a PRO license or try and move on with a different product. Of course any product that bases its protection (snapshot or imaging) on System image differences will create a massive amount of BACKUP DATA with 50% variations on a daily basis... most SERVERs don't even do that.
                      Last edited by Froggie; 11-03-2017, 04:36 AM.

Comment

MASSIVE or not it's a "useless" task I do not need and I do not want to.
                        Now the topic has gone far from its original heading....
                        OK, back to the original topic. ShainaIR has already answered your question... no other Rollback options are available to you except the FREE version you are currently using or the PRO version which can eliminate your perceived problem.

You pay your money... you take your choice. Best of luck!

Comment

OK, back to the original topic. ShainaIR has already answered your question... no other Rollback options are available to you except the FREE version you are currently using or the PRO version which can eliminate your perceived problem.

You pay your money... you take your choice. Best of luck!
                          The forums already got a moderator so I don't understand if you're a young troll or just someone aiming at some promotions also I don't need your useless suggestions SO best of luck with your trolling!

Comment

If you look back over old entries to these forums, drought, I think you will find that Froggie has been one of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors, if not the most knowledgeable and helpful contributor, that they have ever had. I've never met him, and I have no idea who he is, but he has certainly saved me from serious trouble with RollbackRx a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by dbolotin View Post
                              If you look back over old entries to these forums, drought, I think you will find that Froggie has been one of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors
                              Totally off topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X