Rollback RX and Win 10 16299.19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollback RX and Win 10 16299.19

just wanting to know if there are currently any issues with using rollback on win 10 16299.19? thanks

The only thing I can offer is... if using v10.7, be sure that your Rollback's PROTECTION is turned OFF during the Fall Creators Edition (FCE). If using earlier versions, I would suggest unInstalling prior to the update. Please remember, both of these operations will remove all snapshots and upon re-engaging protection/re-Installing, it will create a new baseline reference.

This need is due to the fact that the FCE wants to increase the size of your Windows RECOVERY PARTITION on most Win10 Systems. It will do this, as it has done in the past, by re-sizing your Windows C: partition downward in order to free up enough storage for its new, larger Recovery Partition. This process will also abandon any previous Recovery Partition in use, allowing it to rot in the wasteland of unused partitions in your disk geometry. It's this disk geometry change that usually causes Rollback serious stomach distress during the Windows update process. It's this same partition resizing anomaly that will also affect most automatic imaging systems that users may be using to FULLY PROTECT their Rollback-protected Systems.

Hopefully the HDS developers have seen this in their extensive testing of the FCE... if not, they should have by now and informed you prior to TODAY, the beginning of the FCE Rollout by MicroSloth.

As far as whether it works properly under the FCU... haven't a clue, not tested yet.
    Last edited by Froggie; 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Hello,

The new Windows 10 16299.19 Cumulative Update released by Microsoft will work fine with our latest version of Reboot Restore Rx and RollBack Rx as it's a regular update.

Thank You

Comment

Hello Shainal,

Are you saying that we don't need to uninstall the latest version of Rollback Rx before updating to the Windows Fall Creators Update, and that Froggie's recommendation earlier this morning to uninstall Rollback Rx is unnecessary? That would surprise me, since I thought we were supposed to uninstall Rollback Rx before installing all major Windows 10 updates.
        Last edited by dbolotin; 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Hello dbolotin,

Thank you for your response. So just to be clear to your question, any major Windows 10 build upgrades Microsoft releases we either recommend to uninstall or disable protection on RollBack Rx since it would be considered a new version of Windows basically. This is in due to resolving any known compatibility issues with RollBack Rx when performing the upgrade. If however microsoft releases just regular updates such as the Windows 10 16299.19 Cumulative Update for example, it's not necessary to uninstall RollBack Rx since it would be minor updates and fixes to the operating system. Hopefully, this would make sense regarding the Windows upgrade path with RollBack enabled.

Comment

ShainaIR... 16299.19 is the Fall Creators' Edition. Leaving RBrx installed, I believe, would be a fool's pleasure.

Better have a good image of that whole System if you're gonna do that.
            Last edited by Froggie; 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Hello Froggie and dbolotin,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the confusion here. I did review the feature update further for the Fall Creator's Microsoft Update, and in both Froggie and my instance, this would be more towards a major build upgrade rather then a small update for example. It's best to turn off protection in RollBack Rx first(backup any files in your snapshots), and then perform the update from there. Sometimes Microsoft makes this difficult since they now do all of the major revision and build upgrades to one Windows OS platform and with this release, this would be best practice to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ShainalR View Post
                Hello,

The new Windows 10 16299.19 Cumulative Update released by Microsoft will work fine with our latest version of Reboot Restore Rx and RollBack Rx as it's a regular update.

Thank You

NO IT"S NOT a regular "cumulative update". IT IS a full blown release.
                Last edited by 2635599; 10-18-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dbolotin View Post
                  Hello Shainal,

Are you saying that we don't need to uninstall the latest version of Rollback Rx before updating to the Windows Fall Creators Update, and that Froggie's recommendation earlier this morning to uninstall Rollback Rx is unnecessary? That would surprise me, since I thought we were supposed to uninstall Rollback Rx before installing all major Windows 10 updates.

let me clear this up right now by having you read post 8. since this IS a full update i personally would do a fresh install. i currently have 16299.19 in, built up, tweaked to my liking, rollback installed and working perfectly.
                  Last edited by 2635599; 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggie View Post
                    The only thing I can offer is... if using v10.7, be sure that your Rollback's PROTECTION is turned OFF during the Fall Creators Edition (FCE). If using earlier versions, I would suggest unInstalling prior to the update. Please remember, both of these operations will remove all snapshots and upon re-engaging protection/re-Installing, it will create a new baseline reference.

This need is due to the fact that the FCE wants to increase the size of your Windows RECOVERY PARTITION on most Win10 Systems. It will do this, as it has done in the past, by re-sizing your Windows C: partition downward in order to free up enough storage for its new, larger Recovery Partition. This process will also abandon any previous Recovery Partition in use, allowing it to rot in the wasteland of unused partitions in your disk geometry. It's this disk geometry change that usually causes Rollback serious stomach distress during the Windows update process. It's this same partition resizing anomaly that will also affect most automatic imaging systems that users may be using to FULLY PROTECT their Rollback-protected Systems.

Hopefully the HDS developers have seen this in their extensive testing of the FCE... if not, they should have by now and informed you prior to TODAY, the beginning of the FCE Rollout by MicroSloth.

As far as whether it works properly under the FCE... haven't a clue, not tested yet.
                    ...and to add yet another anomaly to the v1709 FCE W10 update scenario, there have been reports that on some UEFI/GPT configured Systems, the EFI System partition, which normally has no LETTER assigned to it, now has a LETTER assigned... some have seen Z:

The EFI System partition still does not need to be lettered... keep your eye out. It just may be a product of a mucked up major System upgrade... GO MicroSloth!

Comment

Hello All,

We've released new build updates yesterday for Reboot Restore Rx Professional and RollBack Rx Professional on our Horizon Website. Here are the current build numbers below for reference.

RollBack Rx Professional Build: 2702800906
                      Reboot Restore Rx Professional: 2702811146

These new builds will provide improved support and compatibility with the new Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update that Microsoft released this month.

Thank You

Comment

Working...
                      X