X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RollBack Rx v11 Update and Plan,

Hey folks. Sam here from HDS.

I'm posting today to let you all know the goal to put out our major update (version 11) in January will, unfortunately, not be met. I'm saddened to let you all know as we have been pushing to make it happen since we first let users know back in June.

But I don't want to leave you all without an explanation, as well as some information on v11.

Back in June, January was a feasible goal. The new update was to bring Windows 10 compatibility and a redesigned GUI which aims to streamline the software's functions and make it more user friendly. After that announcement we heard back from the community that Windows 10 compatibility was very important to them, and as such we pushed hard for a Windows 10 compatible version which we put out Oct. 9, 2015. At the same time a security consultant worked with our development team to strengthen the software, who reported several ways to crack the program and leave the PC vulnerable as outlined on our blog/press release. That new update was issued out in August to address these concerns. Despite all this, the new GUI was on track and January was still looking good.

Then the reports started to come in.

In the ensuing months we received several bug reports by our users, including important security updates relating to the previously discovered cracks which had to be addressed as soon as possible. On Dec. 27, 2015 those new updates were pushed out in the latest releases of our software. Unfortunately, these updates severely halted our v11 development as the team's focus was on these security/compatibility issues first before the new GUI/features.

Then, as of yesterday in our latest meeting, the developers announced the goal for a January release date of v11 was just not going to be happen. Security fixes and Windows 10 compatibility took priority and the scenario where the new GUI was ready to be put out with all the additional features we wanted was no longer a reality.

Sigh.

So where does that leave the update now? Well, due to the many facepalms and feet that had to be removed from our mouths, I can't give out any release date details. What I can say is we want this version out as much as you do. We're working hard to get that out as soon as possible.

On the flip side what I can tell you about are some neat new features we're working on. While I know this isn't the same as getting the program, I hope you'll see why I'm excited about it.

First off the most noticeable change is the redesigned GUI. While that may not sound like a lot, this is a huge undertaking. Not only will it make the program look like it belongs in this modern era, it will also streamline the entire functionality of the software with the goal of making all of its features easier to understand and use (i.e. How do I use Event Task schedules? Snapshot exploration? Access Control?) for home users and large-scale enterprises alike.

A wide array of compatibility issues are set to be addressed as well. We're working on hybrid drives, the ability to update/change the installation snapshot instead of updating the whole baseline system, and reviewing our software update system.

There are plenty more changes to come, but these are some of the bigger issues being tackled at the moment.

Once again, I do apologize for the reneging and the delay, but it will be worth it. Feel free to comment/ask questions below. I will answer what I can.

Cheers!

What i can say only is: "oh, my god!"edit: but i will be patient
    Last edited by rxzcums1; 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

What a shock. HDS misses a deadline established long ago. They notify us only after a user asks for an update.
      HDS is a poor excuse for a company. They never meet a deadline then never comment on it without someone asking.
      As soon as HDS mentioned the January 2016 release date (which was months ago) I said it wouldn't happen.
      Why do you continue to sell Gold memberships when your releases exceed the gold membership period (1 year). This is the worst investment anyone could make. It is simply HDS stealing money.
      HDS is a joke who sells a dangerous and extremely unstable product. I speak from experience.
      Listen to me again, You will not see a stable release by January 2017.
      Last edited by Masterblaster; 01-08-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterblaster View Post
        What a shock. HDS misses a deadline established long ago. They notify us only after a user asks for an update.
        HDS is a poor excuse for a company. They never meet a deadline then never comment on it without someone asking.
        As soon as HDS mentioned the January 2016 release date (which was months ago) I said it wouldn't happen.
        Why do you continue to sell Gold memberships when your releases exceed the gold membership period (1 year). This is the worst investment anyone could make. It is simply HDS stealing money.
        HDS is a joke who sells a dangerous and extremely unstable product. I speak from experience.
        Listen to me again, You will not see a stable release by January 2017.
        Yes, the money can be a very important reason...,
        Maybe it's the eax fix's problem? They also not release the v11...
        Last edited by rxzcums1; 01-08-2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Smith View Post
          On the flip side what I can tell you about are some neat new features we're working on. While I know this isn't the same as getting the program, I hope you'll see why I'm excited about it.

First off the most noticeable change is the redesigned GUI. While that may not sound like a lot, this is a huge undertaking. Not only will it make the program look like it belongs in this modern era, it will also streamline the entire functionality of the software with the goal of making all of its features easier to understand and use (i.e. How do I use Event Task schedules? Snapshot exploration? Access Control?) for home users and large-scale enterprises alike.

A wide array of compatibility issues are set to be addressed as well. We're working on hybrid drives, the ability to update/change the installation snapshot instead of updating the whole baseline system, and reviewing our software update system.

There are plenty more changes to come, but these are some of the bigger issues being tackled at the moment.
          Based on Sam's description above, I'm not sure what you're all waiting for

I see a redesigned GUI, no real added functionality here. Sure, it's nice to have a "different" more modern GUI... will probably help new users way more than current ones.

Compatibility issues...? They should be dealt with in the current release, not necessarily a new release. A new version release causes people to have to spend money for issues that should have already been fixed... not sure what this is all about.

"We're working on hybrid drives"... I'd like to hear more about this issue. In the past, HDS has told its users that Rollback RX should work just fine on SSHDs (Solid State Hybrid Drives). These are standard HDDs that use a large NAND FLASH-based cache in front of the hard drive itself to speed up READ ACCESS of constantly referenced information on that drive. I'm not sure if that's what Sam is referring to above... I'd sure like to hear more discussion on this issue... there's a lot of these drives in use out there.

This updating of the INSTALLATION snapshot (only) vs the BASELINE system... I'd like to hear more about this new approach and what its advantages/disadvantages are.

And, of course, I'm always interested in the "plenty more changes to come" that Sam references above. I'm not sure why they aren't discussed here as I would think they would be used as a marketing tool to get both existing and future users excited about the new "upcoming" version of the product and all its NEW FUNCTIONALITY.

And #2... I noticed that the "Rollback RX and SSD TRIM" STICKY thread has had its stickum removed I thought the reason it was STICKY was that HDS felt it was an important enough thread to place at the top of the Forum for users to see. So much for keeping important discussions at the head of the list...
          Last edited by Froggie; 01-09-2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

The problem is with the RRX's design. Once they get it running with a specific version of Windows, the OS is patched (happens often) which breaks RRX. The truth is HDS cannot plan for these patches. So they always recommend you don't install Windows updates until they test and approve them (test here is used very loosely). In about 1 month after the OS update, HDS will comment on the patch. If they don't recommend you apply it, you have 2 options, 1) loose the advantage of the patch (which could be an important update), 2) wait for another RRX patch. Of course if you have auto updates set on Windows update, the patch could make your system unrecoverable.
            In the end, you buy RRX and spend more time waiting for updates than you do using it.
            They will never really fix RRX because the problem is how the code is written. It is just a disaster that limps along with band-aid fixes.
            It you want a reasonable alternative, look here http://xeroweight.com/ It's not as fast but it's simple and it works.

Comment

The problem is with the RRX's design. Once they get it running with a specific version of Windows, the OS is patched (happens often) which breaks RRX. The truth is HDS cannot plan for these patches. So they always recommend you don't install Windows updates until they test and approve them (test here is used very loosely).
              The main problem with this approach is under the newest release of Microsoft Windows 10 HOME edition, users don't even have that option... MicroSloth updates are forced upon them without them being able to control the updates.

Horizon DataSys has already discovered that the v1511 Microsoft update (November 2015) will crush many Rollback RX system configurations of W10 HOME without any user control (see HERE in Posts #12 & 13). Users need to be very careful with that particular system configuration.
              Last edited by Froggie; 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggie View Post
                The main problem with this approach is under the newest release of Microsoft Windows 10 HOME edition, users don't even have that option... MicroSloth updates are forced upon them without them being able to control the updates.

Horizon DataSys has already discovered that the v1511 Microsoft update (November 2015) will crush many Rollback RX system configurations of W10 HOME without any user control (see HERE in Posts #12 & 13). Users need to be very careful with that particular system configuration.
                Its abit late but first saw your post now there is an option to notify you before restart i am 95% its in home too i won pro but have home on some pc i have ofc hacked that settings in reg but i wont go into that but the option to notify you before restart can make a BSOD day a Good day

Comment

okay my head spins way to complicated to do on home "normal"
                  il link a site its not a hack site its a respected site so i hope i wont get slammed by admin
                  http://www.thewindowsclub.com
                  FOLLOWING ANY OF THESE GUIDES ARE TOTALLY AND ONLY YOUR CHOICE
                  YOU BREAK IT YOU KEEP THE PIECES
                  THE SITE HAS NO AFFILIATION WITH HORIZON
                  SO IF YOU BREAK YOUR PC TOUGH IT YOUR CHOICE TO FOLLOW GUIDES
                  most are safe for "normal" users disabling services and so on but some need experience i have 20+ year experience working with computers
                  if you know where the power button is but cant find a blanket for pc when it goes to "sleep" do no do anything!!!

Comment

It you want a reasonable alternative, look here http://xeroweight.com/ It's not as fast but it's simple and it works.
                    Great, but I use XP (which AX64 once supported but no longer does). Do you happen to know of anything comparable (in other words, a Rollback alternative with similar features) that actually works?
                    I even thought of returning to GoBack (yes, I am desperate) but it is limited to 1TB disks, and all mine are 2TB.

Comment

Originally posted by norman View Post
                      Great, but I use XP (which AX64 once supported but no longer does). Do you happen to know of anything comparable (in other words, a Rollback alternative with similar features) that actually works?
                      I even thought of returning to GoBack (yes, I am desperate) but it is limited to 1TB disks, and all mine are 2TB.
                      Well, RRX is unique in what it does. Some turn to Xeroweight/Flashback (AX64). Beyond this, some seem to like Macrium Reflect paid as it is very fast but just a conventional backup program.
                      BTW, I didn't see the system requirements at Xeroweight.

Comment

I didn't see the system requirements at Xeroweight.
                        Neither did I, at first. They appear on the 'Buy Now' page.
                        Last edited by norman; 02-06-2016, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by norman View Post
                          Neither did I, at first. They appear on the 'Buy Now' page.
                          I see it now. You might want to contact Xeroweight support and ask them.

Comment

Wow, I am speechless, I sit here shaking my head in disbelief, you give people a January date and then you pull the rug out from under them.

I mean I like Rollback Rx and all that warm fuzzy stuff but this company really does not have a game plan at all, does it?

The way it is looking even though your not saying it, OR ownership is not allowing you to say, users will not get a good, solid Windows 10 compatible version of this software until somewhere around June or so, this is why you are not giving a date ..... or better yet not allowed to give a date.

This is just becoming another Windows 8 fiasco, LMAO

What a joke.

Your CEO needs to learn a thing or two about planning and preperation and your developers really need to get on the stick.

After dealing with this for what? 5 months or so? I am seriously thinking about going with another backup / rollaback solution because it has become real evident that Horizon Datasys has no problem collecting good money for it's software but when it come to putting out a SOLID product in a timely manner it severly just falls way short.

Really ....... I would be embarrased.

Xeroweight Flashback is looking like a pretty good option at the moment, which by the way IS Windows 10 compatible.

From thier website ........
                            "We are an Australian based team of developers who are passionate and dedicated to the art of making the fastest and easiest to use disk imaging product in the world."

The keywords being dedicated and passionate, something Horizon Datasys needs to learn.
                            Last edited by edee; 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edee View Post
                              The way it is looking even though your not saying it, OR ownership is not allowing you to say, users will not get a good, solid Windows 10 compatible version of this software until somewhere around June or so, this is why you are not giving a date ..... or better yet not allowed to give a date.
                              RollBack Rx v10.4 is Windows 10 compatible, and has been since Oct. 9, 2015. Download and install away edee!

Comment

Working...
                              X