Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - GPT Laptops Can't Install Reboot Restore Freeware

Hello.

We have new Dell XPS13's that we were going to install Reboot Restore on for an educational lab. First, I was attempting to install the Reboot Restore Pro Demo to check out the central management features, but that failed with a 0x800800005 error. Then, after doing a Reset, I moved on to trying to install the Reboot Restore Freeware version only to encounter the same error.

I now understand the 0x800800005 error code to mean the MBR sub console was unable to install. And, I now understand that it's because the disk is formatted in GPT.

However, I'm confused, because Windows 10 forces you to use GPT and, therefore, this program should be unable to installed on a Windows 10 machine. However, this Lenovo that I tested Reboot Restore on before giving the signal that this product could be an option, is a Windows 10 laptop on MBR and Reboot Restore works perfectly on it.

So, my question is: Can this product be used on Windows 10? If yes, could someone please explain how I should format the disk/install Windows 10 to best enable this software to work on these laptops?

Thank you!
    Last edited by terryD; 02-28-2018, 11:47 AM.

Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. Yes, Reboot Restore Rx is fully compatible with Windows 10. Before we get started in resolving your issue first, could you please send us a picture and also the full exact error message you see when trying to install our software?

Once I can have a look at the image, I can look into this further for you.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShainalR View Post
      Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. Yes, Reboot Restore Rx is fully compatible with Windows 10. Before we get started in resolving your issue first, could you please send us a picture and also the full exact error message you see when trying to install our software?

Once I can have a look at the image, I can look into this further for you.

Thanks!
      Yes, and thank you for your response.

The first screenshot I've attached is the partition option that I choose during install. The second screenshot is the error that I receive.

Comment

Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. If you could also please send me a screenshot of the "Disk Management" screen in Windows 10, we can check to see if bitlocker is enabled or not, as this can affect the installation of our software. Here is a link below for more information on what the "Disk Management" screen looks like:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open...gement-2626080

If you have any further questions on this, feel free to let us know!

Comment

Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. If you could also please send me a screenshot of the "Disk Management" screen in Windows 10, we can check to see if bitlocker is enabled or not, as this can affect the installation of our software. Here is a link below for more information on what the "Disk Management" screen looks like:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open...gement-2626080

If you have any further questions on this, feel free to let us know!
          Hello, Shainal

Yeah, I did notice that the volume said Bitlocker Encrypted in Disk Management; however, when I went to Manage BItlocker, there was no option to disable it. Below are some screenshots.

The first screenshot is the Disk Management, showing NTFS (Bitlocker Encrypted). The second screenshot is my Bitlocker settings under Bitlocker Drive Encryption. And, the third is a screenshot of the C: drive in File Explorer with the padlock and, seemingly, an error message. I'll begin googling to see what this is about.

I suspected this could be what was preventing this to fully install; however, on one Install attempt I completed disabled TPM in the BIOS, but the install still did not complete. Seems weird to me that "Turn on Bitlocker" is the available option in Bitlocker Drive Encryption which, to me, denotes that Bitlocker is actually OFF. But, when you view the volume in Disk Management, it clearly says NTFS (Bitlocker Encrypted) which to me infers that Bitlocker is ON. Two different sets of information.

Weird, I'll start Googling!

Comment

Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. After looking at the screenshots, it sounds like Bitlocker is partially turned off here as we've seen cases like this happening in the past with how Windows 10 handles Bitlocker encryption in the Operating System. We suggest to fully turn on Bitlocker as in the 2nd screenshot, than there should be an option to fully turn off Bitlocker. After that is done, try reinstalling Reboot Restore Rx again.

Comment

Hello terryD,

Thank you for your response. After looking at the screenshots, it sounds like Bitlocker is partially turned off here as we've seen cases like this happening in the past with how Windows 10 handles Bitlocker encryption in the Operating System. We suggest to fully turn on Bitlocker as in the 2nd screenshot, than there should be an option to fully turn off Bitlocker. After that is done, try reinstalling Reboot Restore Rx again.
              Yes, this is definitely what has occurred. Partial Bitlocker has blocked the Reboot Restore install, even though Bitlocker Device Encryption shows "Turn on Bitlocker."

I found some command line tools for viewing Bitlocker Information. One of these is
              Code:
              manage-bde -status c:

If you look at my first screenshot, when I ran this command on my C: drive I received a status of this volume that indicates the drive is 100% Encrypted (the highlighted portion); interestingly, though, Protection Status is labeled as OFF. (I clearly need to do more reading about how Bitlocker operates, but anyway).

‚ÄčIn the second screenshot, I ran
              Code:
              manage-bde -off c:
              and received Decryption is now in progress. When I ran manage-bde -status c: immediately after, it shows the Conversion Status as Decryption in Progress and the Percentage Encrypted as 18.5%.

I waited another 5-10 minutes, ran manage-bde -status c: again (third screenshot) and the Conversion Status has changed to Fully Decrypted and the Percentage Encrypted changed to 0.0%.

I'm going to move forward, first installing the Freeware version to test how it functions on these laptops, and then I'll return to Pro Trial. I'm very interested in seeing the Remote Management options.

Shainal, thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X