Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Pro "ran into a problem" after installing RR

Hi all and thanks for reading this
    i have been using RR freeware on workstation with no issues however for the first time i tested it on Surface pro windows 10 pro ( 2 of them) but after installation (needs a reboot), windows runs into an error and forces me to re-image the surface pro, repairs hard drive fails too.
    1. i tried to disable bitlocker ( still same issue)
    2. Disable Boot Configuration lock ( still same issue)
    3 Change configuration to None and Disable TPM ( still same issue)

any help will much appreciated!
    Last edited by ITdept; 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM.

I came here to look for an answer to this same problem. I too, tried to install it on a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10. After boot, it blue screens. I had to use recovery media to factory reset the surface before I could use it. I also tried all the steps listed with no results.

(sorry not an answer, but just another report of the same problem)

Comment

let me know if you find anything

Comment

Hey folks!

What error message are you encountering specifically?

Thanks!

Comment

Either that windows can't find a bootable drive or that I need to run recovery media.

I reloaded the surface, and then re-installed and it did work. The Windows software that I reloaded was not what originally came on the surface but is our in-house software that we have our volume license for (still Win10).

Comment

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the update. I know we're working on a new build which is addressing Windows 10 problems. I'll get back to you when we got more info on that!

Comment

Originally posted by joshjmcelroy View Post
              Either that windows can't find a bootable drive or that I need to run recovery media.

I reloaded the surface, and then re-installed and it did work. The Windows software that I reloaded was not what originally came on the surface but is our in-house software that we have our volume license for (still Win10).
              so you managed to make it work at the end? i tried reloading it with USB windows 10 pro but still same issue, what do you mean in-house software? what kind?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Smith View Post
                Hmm, okay. Thanks for the update. I know we're working on a new build which is addressing Windows 10 problems. I'll get back to you when we got more info on that!
                works fine on windows 10 workstations, issues with surface pro only.

Comment

We have volume license software. So I loaded Windows 10 Education version. I did that AND I made sure Win10 was fully updated AND I created a restore point. Then installed Reboot&Restore and it worked.

I'm about to install it again on a different surface that is using the factory installed Windows10 software. It's fully updated so hopefully it works. Perhaps that was the issue. I'll post back in a bit once I see what happens.

Comment

I get a little block of text in the top left corner:

Booting in insecure mode
                    System data (0x3A8E60) not found, disks 1.
                    InitProtectSystem failed

Then:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. You can restart

"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"
                    What failed: shield.sys

ADDITIONAL:
                    Luckily I created the system restore and was able to use a USB to boot to the recovery options and the system restore worked.

It seems like there's something in the OS that ships from the factory that's causing this? Perhaps something on the hard drive (a partition or something) because when I loaded it off the DVD I formatted the whole drive.
                    Last edited by joshjmcelroy; 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM. Reason: Add some more info

Comment

I get a little block of text in the top left corner:

Booting in insecure mode
                      System data (0x3A8E60) not found, disks 1.
                      InitProtectSystem failed

Then:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. You can restart

"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"
                      What failed: shield.sys

ADDITIONAL:
                      Luckily I created the system restore and was able to use a USB to boot to the recovery options and the system restore worked.

It seems like there's something in the OS that ships from the factory that's causing this? Perhaps something on the hard drive (a partition or something) because when I loaded it off the DVD I formatted the whole drive.

thanks for getting back to me, exactly the same thing happened to me,i also created a restore point which worked which saved a bit of time, you're saying if i get a volume license for windows education, it will work?

Comment

We have volume license software. So I loaded Windows 10 Education version. I did that AND I made sure Win10 was fully updated AND I created a restore point. Then installed Reboot&Restore and it worked.

I'm about to install it again on a different surface that is using the factory installed Windows10 software. It's fully updated so hopefully it works. Perhaps that was the issue. I'll post back in a bit once I see what happens.

ok i managed to make it work! thanks for the clue!
                        what i did:
                        1. Installed UNLICENSED Windows 10 from ISO (cd)
                        2. Install RR on the machine ( obviously windows is not activated yet)
                        3 re-apply OEM license which i pulled from Bios ( so no need to pay for volume license)

this works like a charm!

Good luck!

Comment

Glad it worked. I think it has a lot more to do with the fresh install, than what type of license it is. I'm guessing the surfaces have some sort of partition on the hard drive from the factory that doesn't play nice with RR. The clean install wipes the hard drive and erases the partitions - thus RR works.

That's my guess anyway.

Comment

Hopefully this gets sorted out in the future, however unfortunately I had to go away from RR and go with deep freeze. I just don't have the time necessary to reload the OS on 45 devices, that already have Win10 on them. I just went with the pre-installed version and added my software as necessary. Sorry that I had to do that. Hopefully future users will not have this problem on Surface devices.

Comment

No worries! Thanks for giving us a shot at all, and we'll definitely be addressing this problem soon. I'm sorry to hear you're leaving, but take care of your needs first and foremost.

Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
                              X