Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enable system tray icon for nonprivileged users in v2.0?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable system tray icon for nonprivileged users in v2.0?

I understand that in going from v1 to v2 the system tray icon was hidden from nonprivileged users.
    Is there any way to unhide it for nonprivileged users? By adding a registry key value perhaps?

Rationale:

My computer is not a public access system and I am not concerned about who might be able
    to turn off virtualization. On the other hand, since I normally use a nonprivileged user account,
    I am very concerned that without any way to tell that virtualization is enabled I will not remember
    to copy to a USB flash drive any newly created files/documents that I want to keep before I reboot
    or shut down the computer. (I suppose I could stick a Post-It that says "Virtualization enabled" to
    my monitor bezel, but then I'd have to remember to do that!)

Note that allowing nonprivileged users to turn off virtualization from the system tray really isn't much
    of a security reduction as long as nonprivileged users can already do so by rebooting, pressing
    <Home> and uninstalling RebootRestoreRx. Furthermore, if you implemented this option via a
    registry key value under HKLM\Software, nonprivileged users couldn't edit that registry key anyway.

Edit:

I don't really care whether or not nonprivileged users can enable/disable virtualization from the system
    tray icon: I just need a clear visual indication for nonprivileged users of the on/off state of virtualization.
    Last edited by carlm; 08-25-2014, 07:10 AM. Reason: Add: main concern is virtualization state indicator for nonprivileged users

carlm,

Thank you for taking the time to post here and for your time with the product! I'll do my best to address your questions here.

At this time there is no way to unhide it from non-privileged users. As you know this is mainly for product security once the software is loaded up in Windows, as people like the option of hiding the program from non-admin users.

As for your circumstances, unless the program is otherwise set to be off or not running, then your system will always reset and restore to the single baseline image you set it up for. This means you should assume that it is always active, unless you entered as an admin and turned it off. The best way to check then is to log in as your admin and to check its status. If that's something you don't want to do, you could also open Windows Explorer, then go to Program Files --> Shield and open the program from inside there. Unless this folder was hidden, you should be able to access the program as a non-privileged user through this way. Then you can see if it is active and make plans accordingly!

Once again, thank you for your time. I'll pass along your message to our development team.

If you have any other questions or remarks, feel free to shoot me a message, respond here, or even send an email to samuel@horizondatasys.com.

Cheers!

Comment

Sam,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried your suggestion: As a nonprivileged user I double-clicked on Program Files\Shield\ShdTray.exe.
      I got a Warning dialog box with the text : "An application instance is already running."
      I clicked on OK, the dialog box was dismissed, and, as expected, the tray icon did not appear.

So I'm still looking for a visual indicator other than a Post-It note. :-)

Comment

carlm,

Thank you for your prompt response!

Could you try instead of running "ShdTray.exe" to open "Shield.exe". This will open the program itself, and you can check to see if it's running. However, do note you won't be able to turn on the tray icon from your non-privileged user either way, so you'll have to open the program itself to check if it's on.

Let me know how that goes!

Sam

Comment

Sam,

There is no Shield.exe.
          The .exe files in Program Files\Shield are:
          NetReg.exe
          ShdServ.exe
          ShdTray.exe
          Uninstall.exe

I would be afraid to try to run ShdServ.exe without an assurance of safety from your developers.
          At best it might just refuse to run because there's already an instance belonging to user SYSTEM.
          At worst it might hose the virtual disk file if virtualization was active.

BTW, I discovered that the running instance of ShdTray.exe belongs to my (nonprivileged) user
          account: apparently it always runs but just doesn't display for nonprivileged users.

Comment

carlm,

Hmm, I see. I apologize for the confusion there!

You are correct in that the program is indeed running and that it's not visible as a non-admin user. The program is constantly running unless noted otherwise, but the only visual flair you can check through is as an admin. At this time there is no other way for you to know if it's running other than through the admin. The splash screen on boot-up will also indicate to you if the program is loading or not.

Either way, I've noted your request and will pass it along to our developers.

Do note however that this is not a virtual environment you're in. It's the state of the system as is, but the snapshot Reboot Restore Rx takes will be re-applied once you've rebooted.

Thanks again for your time and have a great day!

Comment

Please please please take a look at this.

It would be very beneficial for my remote support use-case to have the icon visible for non-privileged users and require an admin password be entered to unlock.

Comment

You can check event logs to identify what exactly is causing the failed to create window error message. Its usually attributed to a mising visual C
                Anytrans crack ++ file that you'll need to dowload from microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                X