Reboot RestoreRx - Freeware - C Drive Space Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot RestoreRx - Freeware - C Drive Space Issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803 that has the freeware version 2.2 Reboot Restore RX installed. Reboot RestoreRx is only protecting the C drive as a part of this installation. This computer rolls back its image through the use of Reboot Restore RX to the last baseline image created every night at 8pm due to a scheduled reboot. It is important to note that I have turned off the fast startup option on boot, disable the Windows Updates service and Windows Installer services as a part of every committed baseline image so as not to corrupt the Master Boot Record as suggested by Horizon Datasys support technicians. It is also important to note that the user of this computer only uses files that are running from a USB flash drive. No files are saved to the computer between baseline updates and the computer is set to reboot every evening. Over the course of a year or so, I periodically go into the computer as an admin, enable installer and windows updates services, run updates, reboot, ensure all programs are updated, stop windows update and installer services and re-commit the baseline image.

I have noticed that the C drive space (128GB SSD) progressively fills up more than what the software updates would suggest. I am looking to see if Reboot RestoreRx could be possibly storing old baseline images and storing them on the C drive, or could be filling up the drive by other means. Because software updates and Reboot RestoreRx are quite literally the only things being updated between baseline image updates, it suggests that Reboot RestoreRx plays a part in filling up my C drive. Any feedback on this concern would be greatly appreciated.

Wrong topic (hopefully the admin will move it the correct one)

Anyway,

The issue you report has been noticed by some users of RollBack Rx, but it really shouldn't happen Reboot RestoreRx, since, as you said, underneath the hood it's basically RollBack with just one Baseline snapshot enabled that is restored at every reboot. Old snapshots should theoretically not be stored anywhere.

How much space are you exactly losing after every update?

Windows is known to keep backups of old system files after every update, so updated files are basically just added to the disk. After major updates, one can lose quite a bit of space.
    If temporarily uninstalling Reboot RestoreRx is an option for you, you could try that before installing the next load of patches. If the amount of space still decreases in a similar way like with RebootRestore Rx installed, then that's just Microsoft filling up your precious SSD.

Comment

Working...
    X