Basic Differences Between Reset Restore and Rollback Rx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Differences Between Reset Restore and Rollback Rx

I read the whitepaper looking for the answer but I'm not clear which is the best for use for our public library systems (there are only 4 computers). One item I noticed the whitepaper said: "Restore public shared systems to clean, configured slates after each reboot or log-off", which looks like one difference is how logged in sessions are treated. I only saw an option to restore to a "template" state on OS start with Reboot Restore, whereas it seems every login could be made fresh and template clean with Rollback Rx. Is that understanding correct?

What other differences would make one solution or the other better for a small, non-profit, all volunteer run library like ours?

Hey tonymartin5603,

Thanks for signing up, and welcome to the community! I'm sure you'll receive some great feedback on your questions, and I hope you can help provide answers for other users in the future.

So, when it comes to public access computers I would definitely recommend either Reboot Restore Rx or Drive Vaccine. They are both designed with this environment in mind, and come equipped to handle multi-user PCs.

Since you're only managing 4 PCs I think Reboot Restore Rx will do the trick for you. The software itself will capture the state of the machine once it installs, then load into that state on every reboot despite the previous user's actions. This will wipe any data, private information entered, setting changes, viruses, or attempts made to change the system in any way.

Drive Vaccine does the same thing, but comes with more automation features, password protection, a centralized management tool, and a few other options such as restoring when logoff is selected, idle time, or on a set schedule.

RollBack Rx is more intended for home, corporate, and staff machines as an instant backup utility. The basic breakdown of RollBack Rx is it will capture the state of the system on a schedule you as the administrator set. These "snapshots" are all restore points you can load into in a few seconds. While this would work in a public access setting, it really is a bit overpowered for this scenario. If you are interested in it, think of it more as a backup solution for your employees where you can keep the program running the background taking snapshots, then should the PC run into trouble you can load up RollBack Rx and have it restore to an earlier state.

I hope that cleared things up. Ask more questions if you got 'em.

Thanks!

Comment

Sounds like if I want a fresh session for every user (and not just fresh for the first user after the machine is booted) I would need Rollback Rx or Drive Vaccine and use the "on logout" condition as a restoration trigger. I just want to make sure that every time a patron logs in under the "Patron" account the system will be "clean", meaning reset to a default or template profile. I say profile but in actuality the entire system is from the default / template state, correct?

Does Reboot / Restore, Drive Vaccine and Rollback Rx provide the ability to restore multiple partitions? Do those partitions need to be NTFS or can a proprietary partition type also be restored to a saved state?

I ask b/c I would like to offer our patrons the choice of operating systems, ideally Windows7, 8.1 or 10 AND linux. If restoration is as simple as capturing a template as a vhd file, Macrium Reflect can do that for any partition.

Comment

Great follow-up questions.

Yes, I believe Drive Vaccine would suit you best if you want those extra added parameters, particularly loading on logoff. That would be the way to go.

And yes, our software does protect multiple partitions. However, only Drive Vaccine and RollBack Rx can be configured for a multi-boot environment with several Windows' options, and the programs do not support Linux -- only Windows.

Comment

I've read the users manual for Rollback & Vaccine, and noted the info about multiboot. The linux system will be fine on its own and can be excluded from restoration. I just need to lock down the Patron account on all of the operating systems so there is no access to the drive space of the other operating systems (so Windows 10 can't access Windows 7 folders & vice versa).

Although Rollback Rx is overkill in many respects I think I will start with that. I wish you had a features comparison table for your different product versions. What features are missing from the freeware version of Rollback Rx? Would that be suitable for protecting Windows 7 & 10 in a multiboot scenario (assuming no Linux or it being limited so it can't muck with Windows)?

Comment

Here you go tony! http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/pro...Id=40#Benefits

Comment

Working...
            X