Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Updates

Hello folks!

Starting today, this thread will be dedicated to providing a list of general updates (mostly pertaining to Windows updates) and their compatibility with our software.

As some experienced in October, 2014, certain Windows updates were executed and ended up corrupting RollBack Rx, Drive Vaccine, and Reboot Restore Rx (for those who manually ran them) on some Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 machines. In response to this, the HDS team is going to be testing the updates as they come and then providing a list of safe updates after testing has been completed.

As such, it's recommended you follow these steps to download Windows updates, but wait on installing them until an update has been provided here (or through our newsletter found at support.horizondatasys.com). A visual guide is attached as well.

(January 16th Update): The latest build of RollBack Rx will automatically change the Windows update settings to this selection suggested below.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on System and Security.
    3. Select Windows Updates.
    4. Select "Change Settings".
    5. Change the selection to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"
    6. Click OK!

The next major Windows update patch is scheduled for Tuesday, November 11, 2014. Testing will be done on these updates as they become available and the results will be posted here.

Have a great weekend!
    3. Select Change Settings. 4. Select the proper download option. 2. Select Windows Updates.

Hello Sam. Interesting what you write, thank you. As I can remember, it's the 1st time that WIN Updates cause massive problems with the product. Do you have a list, which KB cause problems and how is the result of the corruption? Thanks so far and have a nice weekend

Comment

Hi Sam, this is excellent! Thanks!

I have one question though, you say "As some experienced in October, 2014". I thought the problem occurred in April, update KB2919355. Was there another update that caused problems? I thought there was only one update so far that caused corruption.

I'd like to know if we can safely run updates coming after that one (KB2919355) up until now. If so, I'd like to run the updates I have queued up since then but run them before the new updates come this Tuesday.
      Last edited by Kevin; 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for responding!

Sokatech - It's true. Windows updates, mostly for 8.1, have been a bit troublesome these past weeks. It's not just for our software that the problems persist, as certain Windows updates have actually crashed PC's without any MBR-altering software installed. There were some in August that did this to just regular ol' PC's (seen here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/24656...r-crashes.html). To answer your question - we do not have a full list of KB's just yet as this is a fairly new process. We will be keeping notes of any KB's we run into trouble with, and I will be updating this thread with those KB's when they become available. Thanks!

Kevin - You're not wrong in that that paricular KB was a hassle for us more than most. However, in mid-October Microsoft released a slew of updates that seemed to cause harm to some, not all, Windows 8.1 machines with either RollBack Rx or Drive Vaccine installed. Frustratingly, it's hard for us to test out too, as sometimes the KB's were OK, and sometimes not. We don't have the exact one that caused the problem narrowed down just yet, but we do know it was an update sent out in the black Tuesday dump. We are testing it right now. As mentioned above, when I have an exact KB I will compile a list and release that information here.

Cheers!

Comment

November 11 updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 have been cleared!

The sleuth of updates Microsoft put out on Tuesday, Nov. 11 have been tested and are compatible with the latest RollBack Rx 10.2 edition. For those who were waiting - feel free to download and enjoy.

Comment

There have been major Windows updates in the month of December. Will you be testing them with RollBack Rx 10.2? And if so, when?

Comment

• Sam Smith
              Sam Smith commented
              Editing a comment
              dbolotin,

I haven't heard anything back yet from the team. I'll look into it today and get back to you with more info!

UPDATE: Looks like the devs haven't run into any major updates for Windows 7 or 8 in December. No worries this month!

The latest batch of Windows updates have been tested with RollBack Rx v10.2 and Drive Vaccine v10.3 and are cleared for installation! No issues were found between our softwares and the updates. For reference, please view the attached photos for the exact KB's.

Happy updating! updates_win7.JPG updates.JPG

Comment

Yesterday's Windows Updates, from March 10, seem to have screwed up my system -- Panda Anti-Virus and Thunderbird are the two programs I'm sure of -- and I had to Roll Back to the previous snapshot in order to use my computer. I don't know if RollbackRx was part of the problem, but I can't install any of these 25 "Important Updates" from Microsoft until I get more information from somewhere.

Comment

• Sam Smith
                Sam Smith commented
                Editing a comment
                dbolotin,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. As far as our software goes the Windows updates are working fine.

The Windows updates released March 10 have been given the all clear with our software! Download and installing will not affect RollBack Rx, Drive Vaccine or Reboot Restore Rx.

Cheers!

Comment

I now agree with you. I tried a different antivirus program, and I now suspect that Panda Antivirus was the culprit. With AVG installed instead, everything seems fine.

Comment

• Sam Smith
                  Sam Smith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panda seems to be experiencing a lot of problems today. I hope they figure it out soon!

Sam, do you have any report to give about the April 14 updates?

Comment

The April 14 updates for Windows 7 (which were more smaller patches than anything), and Windows 8.1 (also a little update) have been given the all clear!

Comment

Thank you, Sam.

Comment

• Sam Smith
                      Sam Smith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any time dbolotin!

So what happened to the Win update assesment? Is that still on? Because there has been some updates since the last report here and I did not see any indication of tat, matter fact there are three optional 8.1 x64 updates that surfaced since 2.6.2015...

Comment

cemster,

We are still very much keeping up with Windows updates and testing them out. The only difference being that we only test recommended/essential updates, and not optional Windows updates. Optional is a bit too difficult to check on, as each PC will be given different optional updates depending on drivers, hardware config, etc.

With essential Windows updates, we are still following and will provide info. when available.

Thanks!

Sam

Comment

Working...
                      X