Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! "GetProtectedDiskPartInfo is false" error message with Drive Cloner Rx 6.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! "GetProtectedDiskPartInfo is false" error message with Drive Cloner Rx 6.0

I am using Rollback Rx v10.3 Build 2700482570 and Drive Cloner Rx v6.0 Build 2700899268.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

My system is a classic Mac Pro (MacPro5,1). I DID NOT USE BOOTCAMP to install Windows. Instead, the boot drive was formatted as MBR with NO partition made for the OS X (that is, the system is entirely devoid of Mac OS).

I installed Windows 7 using the default configuration. The boot drive has 3 partitions (verified using Windows' Computer Management). 1 partition for drive C, 1 partition for drive E (data drive), and 1 "hidden" partition created by Windows 7 during installation. No alternations were made to size or partition configurations of these partitions after they were made.

Rollback Rx v10.3 works normally without any issue on this system.

I am able to schedule with the built-in task scheduler to do a "current state" image using Drive Cloner Rx v6.0 and can mount the backup to retrieve files without any issue.

However, when I try to do a manual backup and select the option to include ALL snapshots, the following message appears:

GetProtectedDiskPartInfo is false

I am unable to proceed.

A brief mentioning of this error appeared in a previous thread, but there was no resolution posted thereafter:

http://community.horizondatasys.com/...=3601#post3601

I am completely stuck on how to troubleshoot this. Please help!!!!

Hey ytsai,

Thanks for making your first post! I'll try and help you out here as much as possible, but I believe this issue comes down to a compatibility issue between your hardware and the software. Even though it's a MacPro built on Windows, it could be the physical hardware of the Mac that's causing the issue here.

Could you give us a detailed breakdown of your hardware? You can list it here, or send it over in an email at samuel(at)horizondatasys.com.

Cheers!

Comment

My hardware is standard configuration.

It is a MacPro5,1 (2010) model. Standard firmware. No upgrade or hack of any kind.

The hard disk is a WD Caviar Black 2TB.

There is only one hard disk in the system. No RAID.

As I said before, I did not install Mac OS X on the system and then try to use bootcamp to install Windows 7. Instead, I completely rid of the system of OS X. Before installing, I created only 2 partitions on the hard drive (one for system, one for data). Both are in NTFS. During Windows 7 installation (install is from DVD, as a new install), the installer split the system partition to create a hidden partition for recovery (a new feature in Windows 7), and the operating system was installed in the system partition.

I then installed Rollback Rx and Driver Cloner. Rollback Rx is set to protect ONLY the system partition (drive C) and not the data partition (drive E).

That is. As far as I can tell, there is a very standard configuration.

Originally posted by Sam Smith View Post
      Hey ytsai,

Thanks for making your first post! I'll try and help you out here as much as possible, but I believe this issue comes down to a compatibility issue between your hardware and the software. Even though it's a MacPro built on Windows, it could be the physical hardware of the Mac that's causing the issue here.

Could you give us a detailed breakdown of your hardware? You can list it here, or send it over in an email at samuel(at)horizondatasys.com.

Cheers!

Comment

Mmk ytsai. I see here.

This error message pops up because Drive Cloner Rx is trying to parse the disk for information, but it doesn't recognize it. This is because the program itself needs to be updated with this hardware information. The development team is in the process of updating plenty of hardware. I do apologize for any frustration this may have caused, but until a new build is issued out including this particular drive, this message will keep appearing.

Now, the configuration itself is standard. But despite the way Windows was installed, there could also be an issue regarding using the program on Mac hardware. The software itself does read information on the hardware level.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Sam

Comment

Sam,

Can you ask the development team to clarify exactly the hardware issue with which Drive Cloner Rx needs to update to work?

Is it with the hard drive itself? The hard drive I used is an old Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB that predates v6.0 by years (literally).

I also plan to use the software on a number of SSDs such as the Intel SSD 480GB 535 Series, 730 Series, and 520 Series. I am using the Caviar Black as a test bed to make sure that Drive Cloner Rx works before I install the software in my production machines that have these SSDs.

Will there be compatibility issues with these SSDs?

Also, can you ask the development team to clarify about the Mac hardware itself? This is the issue that I am most worried about. I am aware that Mac Pro uses EFI, but most modern PC uses EFI/UEFI with BIOS emulation anyway, so I don't quite expect that this might turn out to be a deal breaker on using Drive Cloner Rx.

Please advise kindly.

Mmk ytsai. I see here.

This error message pops up because Drive Cloner Rx is trying to parse the disk for information, but it doesn't recognize it. This is because the program itself needs to be updated with this hardware information. The development team is in the process of updating plenty of hardware. I do apologize for any frustration this may have caused, but until a new build is issued out including this particular drive, this message will keep appearing.

Now, the configuration itself is standard. But despite the way Windows was installed, there could also be an issue regarding using the program on Mac hardware. The software itself does read information on the hardware level.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Sam

Comment

Hello ytsai,

Yes, the issue is with Drive Cloner Rx not recognizing the drive itself. While DC6 was released recently, it is in need of an update to have a better understanding of other drives in place. This is what needs to be fixed on our end first, as that is where the problem arises from.

As for those SSDs specifically, I cannot say. You can test it first, but it could be that you encounter the same problem.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi, Sam,

The news is NOT good. None of the SSDs I tested worked at all, with the same error message. Here are the specific models of Intel SSDs:

Intel 520 Series SSDSC2CW480A3 480GB
              Intel 730 Series SSDSC2BP480G4R5 480GB
              Intel 535 Series SSDSC2BW480H6R5 480GB

As you can tell, these are all MAINSTREAM major brand of SSDs (along with the Western Digital Caviar Black lines of HDD).

May I kindly ask you to pass these specific model info to the development team of Drive Cloner Rx to ensure that they are on the list of supported drives for the next build?

I can't imagine that I am the only one who is experiencing problem with this. Currently, Drive Cloner Rx works only if the goal is to image the "current" state, but not to save the snapshots. There are numerous imaging software that can do the same already. What makes Drive Cloner Rx unique (and the reason I am using it) is the close integration with Rollback Rx to backup the snapshots.

In the meantime, has Horizon DataSys considered publishing a list of "supported" drives (traditional hard discs and SSDs) for which the "snapshot" backup features will work fully? Given the such narrow spectrum of drives that the current build supports, I sincerely believe it is the responsibility of Horizon DataSys to disclose this limitation upfront to all customers.

I look forward to hearing more on this. Thank you again for your previous replies. The mere fact that you are willing to address my concerns openly in this forum is much appreciated.

Hello ytsai,

Yes, the issue is with Drive Cloner Rx not recognizing the drive itself. While DC6 was released recently, it is in need of an update to have a better understanding of other drives in place. This is what needs to be fixed on our end first, as that is where the problem arises from.

As for those SSDs specifically, I cannot say. You can test it first, but it could be that you encounter the same problem.

Cheers!
              Last edited by ytsai; 03-04-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Hello ytsai,

I agree, the information is not good. The development team also agrees, and we are working hard to rectify the issue. I do apologize for any frustrations this may have caused.

I have passed along the drive series you have mentioned here to ensure they are covered. I will also ask after a list of supported drives (or the best equivalent information).

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Comment

If you get a list of "compatible" drives, you will add it to the sales page right? That's a rhetorical question. I know HDS would never allow you to do that. Your marketing plan for all HDS products is to use your customers as beta testers. Then when they have a problem (which is chronic on all of your products), tell them you are looking into it and hope the customer just gives up.

Comment

Any update on this. I'm experiencing the same problem with my Samsung

Comment

Any update on this? Just purchased Drive Cloner and I'm experiencing the same problem with my Samsung 850 EVO SSD .

Comment

Hey wbrunc,

The problem is either one of two things here:

1. The version of Drive Cloner Rx you have is not compatible with the version of RollBack Rx you're using. Please download the latest build for both and try again (can be found on these links here: http://support.horizondatasys.com/Tr...er/Step/View/5).

2. Drive Cloner Rx is unable to find the drivers for our particular SSD and needs to be updated.

I've let the development team know of your problems and will see what they say!

Thanks!

Comment

Tried Drive Cloner v 6 on the following ancient system released in 3rd Q 2010:

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" L655-S5100 Laptop with Intel Pentium P6100 Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium

​Drive Cloner still generates the "GetProtectedDiskPartInfo is false" error​.

Comment

It's over a year now. Does Horizon EVER plan to resolve this issue ?

Comment

Working...
                            X