Quick Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

When using Drive Cloner RX 6 to save an image, the user is asked if Rollback snapshots are to also be backed up. If snapshots are not selected, what image is created by Drive Cloner: the current active file system, or the Rollback RX starting baseline? I suspect the former.

Also, is there a technical reason that an image with snapshots cannot be mounted as a virtual drive and explored? The program won't currently let you do that. I would understand if only the current active file system could be mounted from an image containing snapshots, given the complexity involved. But even that is not an option.

FGBU!

To answer the first part there, yes, it will capture the current active file system. For the second part there I'll have to bug some folks to find out more. I'll be back when I get an answer.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerGoBackUser View Post
      When using Drive Cloner RX 6 to save an image, the user is asked if Rollback snapshots are to also be backed up. If snapshots are not selected, what image is created by Drive Cloner: the current active file system, or the Rollback RX starting baseline? I suspect the former.
      Sorry... this is 6-mo late ... I haven't been following the DCv6 Forum for a while now

You (and Sam) are correct on your assumption... but pls don't think that image will be restorable all by itself, it is not. The image capture is done along with the Rollback special Master BOOT Record (MBR) but doesn't contain the Rollback sub-System or its included snapshots. As a result, when the image is restored, either as a partition replacement or as a bare metal restoration, the system will be non-BOOTable due to that special RBrx MBR.

Extra steps (documented HERE) must be taken following the restoration to make your system BOOTable. Rollback RX will be neutered at that time (all snashots will be gone) and must be uninstalled and reinstalled to activate once again.

This was the product status as of late 2015 and I haven't heard anything to date which has changed this particular issue.
      Last edited by Froggie; 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I looked for those information. I greet you.

Comment

Thanks, Froggie, for reminding us of this. But since I don't have an installation disk for my Windows 10 computer, will a Windows 7 installation disk work on my system to reset the MBR? According to this web site (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows), it would work. But I'm not sure whether to trust them. Thanks.

Comment

Hey dbolotin,

If you have access to another PC with Windows 10 on it an easy way is to make a USB Recovery Drive. Just get a blank USB, plug it in, go to your start button and search for 'Recovery'. Select the option that states 'Create a recovery drive' and follow the on-screen instructions. This will make your USB into a recovery USB and you can boot into it and do the MBR reset!

Comment

Thank you, Sam. But I'm still worried. I can create a USB Recovery Drive. (It won't work to restore a Drive Cloner image, as a CD Recovery Disk that I made will, but that's another matter.) And I can use the USB Recovery Drive to get the X:\\windows\system32 command prompt. But will the bootrec.exe command really work? There is no such command in the windows\system32 folder on my computer. (Some web sites say that you have to boot with an F8 in order to repair your computer and fix the MBR in Windows 10.) Would it be better to get a Windows 7 or Windows 10 installation disk from ebay (without an activation key) and use it to boot into a screen that allows you to repair your computer with bootrec.exe? Or will bootrec.exe work with the Drive Cloner USB Recovery Drive, even though there is no bootrec.exe file on my computer? I don't want to have to experiment by trying a bootrec.exe command from the USB Recovery Drive, since if it did work, it might screw up my system.

UPDATE: I managed to copy bootrec.exe to my Windows\system32 directory, and I did experiment with a USB Recovery Drive bootup and a bootrec /scanos command. But even though bootrec.exe is indeed on my computer, when (either at the command prompt X: \windows\system32> or at c: \windows\system32>) I type "bootrec /scanos," I am told that it doesn't recognize the bootrec command. So your suggestion doesn't work, at least not on my computer. So again, do I need a Windows 10 installation disk to boot up with? Or would a Windows 7 Installation disk suffice?
              Last edited by dbolotin; 01-19-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

dbolotin , sorry I'm late with this. You do not need a W10 installation disc to perform this function. If you have a W10 System available and a BLANK CD/DVD, you can create a W10 REPAIR DISC that contains the same capability as the Installation disc as far as these types of repair functions. The repair disk will not be as driver rich as an installation disc but will function just fine on most Systems when doing something similar.

Ask CORTANA (or some other search function) to find "Backup." It should offer you a "Backup & Restore" option, take it. There you will find an option to create a Repair CD/DVD... go for it.. The REPAIR DISC should BOOT up and offer you the same functions as described in the HDS recovery article.

​Sorry this took so long...

Comment

Froggie. Thank you Froggie. I have done what you suggest. But I have also given up on Drive Cloner 6.0, and am using Acronis True Image instead, because Drive Cloner 6, with Windows 10, does not recognize the USB hard drive on which I store my images. Apparently this is a known issue with several major computer manufacturers, including Dell. (And because of major problems using Windows 10 with Rollback Rx 10.5, build 7280, problems which I have written about on a recent Rollback Rx post, I'm very glad that I switched away from Drive Cloner 6.0 in time.)
                  Last edited by dbolotin; 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X